Update On My Quilt for Kids

I started on my quilt for the Quilts for Kids organization this weekend. I have never made a quilt before, I have made quilted bags, vest and some smaller items but a quilt is a little larger!

I received my kit from Quilts For Kids about ten days ago and I have been so excited and anxious to get started.   So far it is going well.  I have the quilt top finished ( well except for adding the border) and it looks pretty good!   I am actually proud of it, there are a couple of places that are not exactly right, but on the whole it is good.

First I sewed the strips together.  I then cut them into 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 inch rectangles( really 2 squares), then I paired them into blocks of 2 rectangles (or 4 squares)

I then alternated a 4 square block with a solid block..  6 rows of 5 blocks across.  After making all the rows across I sewed them all together.  Making sure all the points line up is a bit tricky, but I really had no trouble with that.  It really was pretty easy, if you can sew a strait stitch you can make this simple quilt!





These are photos are the finished top.  I am on Fall Break all this week and hope to complete the quilt by the weekend.   I do have to go to the dentist tomorrow ( I would rather give birth again to my son that weighed 11.4 pounds  then go to the dentist!) but hopefully I will only be out of commission one day!   I will update when finished!

 Happy Sewing!

 check out my other post about Quilts For Kids...
http://glosews.blogspot.com/2011/10/quilts-for-kids.html#more
http://glosews.blogspot.com/2011/10/free-kit-from-quilts-for-kids.html

Comments

Ann Jones said…
I've never had the patience for quilts, it looks great! Thanks for the follow, following you back :) Have a great week!
Good luck at the dentist- it's never as bad as we think it'll be! And this quilt is gorgeous! You are so nifty with a needle, any kid would be lucky to receive this, really love the plane motif xx

Visit The Other Side Of Cool
Tweet me! @othersideofcool
Gloria Haynes said…
Thanks for the comments! I know I will do fine at the dentist, don't know why they scare me so much! I just hate going! Thanks for the encouragement!
Have a wonderful day!
Candice said…
Awesome job with the quilt! I don't have the patience or skill for that :( I love the fabrics too...so fun! I'm your newest follower from the hop and would love for you to follow back:

http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com
corabeth said…
That looks awesome!!! I LOVE quilts and have always wanted to make one.


New Follower from Exposure 99% Blog Hop. Hoping you will follow back! =0)
My Crazy Life
How Cute! I have a nephew that loves planes.

-Tricia

www.facebook.com/greenappleideas
Gloria Haynes said…
Thanks for the comments guys, I have the borders sewn on and hope to quilt it either tonight or tomorrow. Hope you all have a great day.
App Savvy Mama said…
I'm our newest follower via GFC and
Congratulations! You've been awarded the Liebster Blog Award! You can check the details of this award here: http://appsavvymama.blogspot.com/

Cecelia~

Have a good night!!!
Very cute! I hope to learn how to quilt someday. :)
Shanda said…
Fun and cute! I've never quilted but love the work involved. Visiting form the 40 and over hop

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween and Meet Me On Monday!

Pillow Talk and The Week in Review

Monday Quiz About Me 8-13-2012