Pillow Talk and The Week in Review

Sunday, 11-6-11


This week has been an awesome week. On a personal note, I was able to finally download all the music and videos I had on my Ipod Nano 3rd generation to my new Ipod Touch. I have to say that this is something I have been working on for weeks, but last night a light bulb went off and I realized it had been right in front of me all the time! Oh well!

Halloween went a lot better this year, I had 3 spooky visitors.  When compared to last year, that is 3 times more!

I also had an awesome invitation from Michelle over at Heartfelt Balance / Handmade Life to be the featured blogger on her Sit and Relax Weekend Hop!  I am so very happy and excited about this and would like to publicly thank Michelle for this honor!  Sure hope everyone will visit her blog and check out the hop which will go live at 10 pm on Thursday (11-10-11).


Now for the project for this past weeek:

Last month I was picking my brain trying to come up with something to make each of my grands as a little token of Christmas.  I have 13 and needed something that would not be too time consuming or too expensive. While I was reading the Winter '11 issue of Simple Quilts and Sewing  
I came across an article.. Pillow Talk ( Designer: Joyce Hartley and Project Manager:  Elaine Walsh.)  
It is a tutorial for pillowcases that are quick to sew (around 20 minutes) and are made using a technique that encloses all the seams!   How cool.

 I went fabric shopping and found several fabrics I really love.  I made two yesterday, and have cut out some to make today.  I will be able to finish these before Thanksgiving and still have time to do more for friends and family!

Some of the fabrics I chose
And here is one of the pillowcases I made, I did say I made two, but they are just alike, hence one photo!
These are so easy to do.  Takes no time to put together, and all the seams are enclosed so no raw edges or seams show.   PERFECT!!  Grab a copy of Simple Quilts and Sewing today, it has this project and sew many more. It really is a great inspiration for sewing and quilting!

Remember to check out Heartfelt Balance/Handmade Life and link up to her weekend blog Hop!

Happy Sewing!

_________________________________________________________________

Now,  Meet Me On Monday




I am joining the" Meet Me On Monday" hop again today ( just a wee bit late! rough morning!)  You can hook up with this great hop at Never Growing Old.  Every Monday she list 5 questions for each blogger to answer so we can all get to know each other a little better.  It is such fun and a small window into the personalities of the bloggers I am getting to know.

Here are today's 5 questions:


1.  Are you excited for the holidays or are you dreading them?
2.  Do you hit the snooze button or get right up?
3.  Do you still have your tonsils?
4.  What was the last piece of candy that you ate?
5.  Do you shop at thrift stores?

And here are my answers:

1.  I am so excited about the holidays.  All my kids and grands will be here on Christmas  Eve and we will have a wonderful time.  We play a game called "Dirty Santa" and it is such fun.  It is a time for sharing gifts and love, it is a very important holiday in my family!
                                 Me and my crazy sons on Christmas Eve

2.  When the alarm goes off in the morning I am usually already awake and listening for it, but still I usually hit the snooze one time.  I really don't know why I don't just go ahead and get up because I turn the alarm off and get up before it can go off again!

3.  No!  I do not still have my tonsils, I had my tonsils out when I was 15.  I thought it was going to be great, all the ice cream I wanted and missing school!  Well let me tell you trying to eat that ice cream they brought me was the biggest surprise of my life, thought I was going to die!  But in 4 days I had recovered enough that my Mom let me be in the Christmas Parade in the pouring rain!  Ha Ha, yes I was a crazy teenager, but I survived!

4.  The last piece of candy I ate was a bag of goobers that we had left from Halloween.  I don't eat candy very often ( control my diabetes with diet and exercise) but I did eat that and it was wonderful!  YUM
5.  Yes, I do shop in thrift stores!  Burkes Outlet is one of my very favorite!  Any where I can find a great bargain, I am there!
Well Hope you all have a wonderful Monday, and hope you will meet me again next Monday!

Comments

Nani said…
Oh, how totally sweet! I adore the idea of Christmas Pillow Cases! Your grandkids will love them, I just know it!
punkychewster said…
oh yes i am in need of simple and quick projects! my to-gift list keeps expanding!!
Cheers! Stopping by from the sit and relax blog hop. Congrats on the feature! I love Goobers...and I love thrift stores as well! Dirty Santa??? What is that?
Jill said…
I'm visiting via the Sit and Relax Blog Hop and am your newest Follower on GFC and FB :)

Congrats on being Featured this week! The stocking pillow case is Adorable!

~ Jill

http://www.frugalplus.com/
Nora B. Peevy said…
Hopping for Sit Back hop here. I cannot sew to save my life, but enjoy a bunch of other crafts. I also am a published author and I do photography and watercolor.

Nice to meet you. I have pictures of Savannah, Georgia linked up for this weekend's hop.

Hop on by!

-Nora
http://norabpeevy.blogspot.com/2011/11/dallas-arboretum-writing-inspiriation.html
Very cute!! Enclosed seams sound hard!!! I have a hard time sewing when I can't see the back of what I'm sewing. I always have something caught up in there! Would it matter with a pillow case? Thanks for being Featured Blogger this week! Have a great weekend!
Kathryn said…
great idea! wish I could sew, or seem to find the talent :)

new follower from the hop, would love a follow back!

http://cumminslife.blogspot.com/
Gloria Haynes said…
Enclosed seams really aren't very hard, and you are right Michelle, probably really wouldn't matter with a pillowcase and a serged edge would do, I just like that no raw edges can been seen especially since it is a gift. :) Thanks again for having me as your featured blog!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and all the great comments!
Julianne said…
Love the pillowcase! I'm a thrift shopper too there's nothing better than a good thrift store! Thanks for following me at sew fantastic! I'm following back!

Julianne
www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
So cute! I wish I knew how to sew, my poor sons blankey is falling apart and since mama doesn't know how to sew I can't fix it :(
Carrie said…
We all loved them. I wanted them all though,oh well that just goes to show you what a good ideal they were
Gloria Haynes said…
I think they were a good idea too, but I am already trying to come up with something for next year! LOL
Love you Carrie!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Halloween and Meet Me On Monday!

Monday Quiz About Me 8-13-2012